Thursday, April 19, 2012

Windmills

Windmills have always had a special place in my heart. I have always loved the western era and when you were out riding or traveling the plains and saw a windmill it meant home for someone, a welcome spot to water your animals.

To this day when I see a windmill it gets me a warm feeling.  Windmills are not always what we picture in our mind. They were a good invention or else they would not remain in use to this day. The first windmill was invented in the first century by Heron of Alexandria. The windmill more like we know it today was developed in the 9th century.

Windmills use wind for action and though we think of them as used for electricity that most modern ones are used for the were used to grind, crush, and press wheat etc. then they were used to pump water and now are used for water and for electricity.

I take photos of windmills every chance I get, new and modern or old ones used for pumping water in dry areas for cattle.  The windmill is fascinating and I am sure I will post more pictures as I go through my photos of Oregon.

I love Oregon and I love her history.

No comments:

Post a Comment