Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fight with a Peacock


When I was small I was like all children and fascinated by peacocks and I wanted a tail feather really bad. They were hard to come by in those days. A friend of my dad that had a 2nd hand store and was an auctioneer had some peacocks and I would stand and watch them every chance I got just wishing to find a feather.   (I found out later his wife picked the feathers off the ground every morning and put them in a jar and would sell them.

Hildebrand  told me that if I went into the pen and got a hold of the feather and got it pulled out I could have it.  That was all I needed for encouragement and I was off like a shot through the gate.  I chased the peacocks and finally got my hands on a tail feather.

That feather did not come out but it sure ticked the bird off and he turned and pecked me and hit me with his wings and I let go.

I was a determined that I was going to get a feather and I again grabbed a feather and hung on. That bird drug me, pecked me, hit me and screamed bloody murder. I did not know that a peacock could scream that way.  Dad and Hildebrand laughing the whole time.

I am covered with dirt, bird poop and my hair is tangled and I know I have bruises all over me from those stupid birds but I again grab a bird's feather.  By now feathers are flying everywhere but I am going to get a whole feather for my wall.

Mrs. Hildebrand hears the commotion and comes out of the house to see what in the world is going on. She scolds my dad and Hildebrand and takes me into the house telling me that the feathers are quite strong and that she has a whole jar full I can have as they just fall out when ready.

My friend has peacocks and they are really good watch dogs but they scream during breeding season just like they do when you pull their tail feathers, very loud, it is not pretty, it is a loud scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment