Thursday, January 10, 2013

I lost my teeth 911 call

On a slow night I received a call from a man wanting to know if there was anyway we could go look for his false teeth.  He lived 4 hours away and just got home from a trip and the only place he had got out of the car was a car lot in our town.

I thought to myself, how do you lose your teeth and not know it.

He said that this was really embarrassing but he did not want to have to drive 4 hours back and not be able to find them.

I felt sorry for him and as police we are there to help no matter what the problem, right?  I could not figure out how to put it over the air as the scanner is the most listened to radio station in all 50 states. I requested the officer call me on the phone.

When I explained to him what happened he said, is this a joke?  How could someone lose their teeth and not know it for 4 hours.  I explained they were bothering him and since he was the only one in the car he took them out and put them in his pocket and he was going down the road and saw this white pickup on a lot and got out to look at it.  He got back in the car and proceeded home and found out his teeth were missing.

The officer responded to the car lot and sure enough right in the front row next to the highway sat a white pickup.  He was so hoping that no teeth would be there but sure enough lying right next to the driers door was the teeth.

He called me on the phone and said "they are here but man I don't want to touch them". I told him to put on a rubber glove and pickup the teeth and then roll the glove off his hand over the teeth and he would not have to touch them."

He said "Gross" but he proceeded to do it and brought the teeth into dispatch still rolled in the rubber glove where they stayed until the owner took a nap and drove back 4 hours to get them.

We all had a good laugh after it was over and really did feel sorry for the owner as he was so embarrassed. He wanted to know when I would be on next so he could come get his teeth without explaining to anyone else how he had lost them.  The next morning he came and got his teeth and I got a big thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment