Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Club Volleyball

I have a friend that's granddaughter plays club volleyball. I had never head of club volleyball. I guess all most all sports now have clubs that play during the off season. One coach told me that if you don't belong to club sports anymore where you are playing at least 9 months out of the year it is hard to be good enough to play in high school sports.  Left me wondering, how much does club ball cost?

There were several teams there but all of them but two were in red and black. They were from all over Central Oregon.

It was quite an experience.  No one could set on the side of the courts, just at the ends and you had to bring your own chairs. They had a few but a lot of the people end up sitting on the floor.

This photo was taken from the balcony above where there is room for one row of chairs which was totally full too.

They play by time and points. You win by getting to 25 by at least a two point lead or when the clock runs out of time who ever is ahead wins.

You play two games against each team and if you end up with one game each you play a quick game of 15 points to decide the winner.

The rules have changed a lot since I played volleyball too. The last game I played was in the early 80's. Now you do not have to be the serving team to score a point. Anytime the ball hits the floor after the serve you get a point. Sure makes the game go faster and I like it a lot better.

The girls have got so good it is a lot like baseball the hit is either a home run or you get put out. Here they serve and very seldom it goes more then one of two hits over the net.

I know I sure wish we would have the knee pads that everyone wears now. Would have saved a lot of scarring on my knees for sure.

If you like volleyball you should come watch some day. It doesn't cost anything but remember to bring your chair..oh and bring your coat that is the coldest school I have ever been in. They play at Prineville at the middle school on Knowledge street.  I think the next game is the 27th of the month.  You go east through Prineville and just before Les Schwab take a right on Knowledge and the school is right there on your left.

Any questions send me an comment and I will find out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment