Sunday, May 13, 2012

Oregon Outback





Exploring the outback of Oregon for Mothers day. I will be posting about 5 photos a day for anyone wanting to come back and view some more. It was a great day and many hours of driving without seeing another human being or a house. What a way to relieve your stress.

Never trust your GPS when you are in the outback of Oregon as it doesn't know where it is going. Half of the fun was listening to it tell us to turn right...into a pasture...into a river....into a rock...

I call my GPS Sacajawea as I don't know any other female scouts. We argue all the time and unless we are in the city I am usually right. She is a doll in the populated areas but she flat sucks at guiding in the outback but it is fun to argue with her.  You really should know some landmarks, have a compass and some good maps, extra water, food, blankets, fire starter before heading out into the true outback area as I said we went for hours without seeing anyone or any houses and the road was a 4x4 road.  Always let someone know where you are headed and what time to expect you home. If you change directions call them on your cell phone when you get reception and let them know of the change. Many times you can't get phone service but if you have Verizon you don't spend very long without any service. Remember that sometimes moving 2 feet makes the difference on getting service or not.

Photo #1 is of an old homestead area, nothing remains of the house except the planted trees that are not native to this area and a few boards and rocks in a formation of a house.

Photo #2: Is just a view from the top of one of the hills showing how lonely the country is and it stretches for miles and miles. I can just imagine what a homesteader would think when he topped this hill in his horse and wagon. It is a little daunting even in a Jeep.

Photo #3, 4 & 5 are just unusual rock formations that I love. I am like a little kid staring at the clouds and finding shapes except I stare at the rocks and find shapes, think about how they were formed and what they have seen through the years.

We might be two old women, my mom is 87 1/2 and I am 65 1/2 but we love to explore and have fun. When you get older you buy a Jeep but you keep going and going and going.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Linda for sharing. I am a native Oregonian so I love the country. Wish I was there to go with you. Arizona is so Hot. Looking forward to your blogs.
    Shirley and Richard

    ReplyDelete