Tuesday, May 15, 2012

John Day River & Puppy Head Rock





picture #1..A castle rock. Everyplace I know has a castle rock. They have one near Madras, one in Warm Springs, one in the gorge and one in Crook County and on this day I found this one out in the middle of no where west of the John Day River on Cherry Creek.

Picture. #2 First signs of civilization after driving for 4 hours, if sprinklers are running on a field you have to been somewhere close to people, gave us hope we weren't going to wander forever among the sagebrush.

Picture #3...The John Day River and some ranches, people do exist. What a beautiful place to live. I bet they have good fishing at the end of that field too as I know the John Day has some good fishing just south of here.

Picture $4..I thought this rock formation was so cool, it had the peaks of rock and then a layer of Palisades, the difference in the rock so close together makes me wonder how each was formed. I was always told the Palisades were a layer of hot magma from a volcanic eruption. Maybe someone knows how they were formed. They are all over Jefferson County in Oregon. Almost anywhere you drive in Central Oregon you will find some.

Picture #5 is the John Day River weaving its way through the ranches. The rock on the left reminds me of a dog, you can see his ear, his eye, his jowl and his little button nose. When I was a kid I used to lay and look at the clouds and find shapes, now I look at rocks and find shapes. The neat thing about a rock that makes it better then a cloud is that the rocks stays there and you can use it for a landmark of where you are. This will always be puppy head rock to me and when I see it I will know right where I am at.

No comments:

Post a Comment