Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Champoeg State Park Museum

 Every time I see an old barn I wish it could tell me it's history. One of my favorite things is when I go for a drive and find an old barn.  I wish I was rich and I would travel the US and find old barns to take photos of.

old barn

I loved his discovery but not sure what it is. I have been told when I posted it to Facebook that it is an old ice house, an old food storage, an old pump house and on and on.  It is located in Central Oregon. Who knows maybe at one time it has been used for all of it. Please comment if you know or have heard anything or know any stories about this?

Ice house?

This is the old house that is now a museum at Champoeg state park.  I know until I sure did not know the history that Champoeg had in our state. It is a fun place to camp too, has disc golf, lots of bike and walking trails, lots of meadows and some fishing too.  It isn't far from I5 so stop in some time.

Champoeg Park Museum

Champoeg Park
Champoeg comes from the Kalapuyan word referring to an edible root. They had the Provisional Government of Oregon meeting on May 2, 1843. The park also has the Butterville store which was founded by a French Candadian Francis Xavier Matthieu and it also rents bikes.

All these are easily accessed by car so easy for elderly to go and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment