Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hearing and the elderly

I took my mom to the hearing doctor (can't spell the proper name) and learned a lot about hearing and the elderly.

Most of the time the elderly do not have damage per say it is that the hairs in the ear get brittle and stiff. She said hearing is a lot of work for the elderly.

I know my mom used to say "I am sorry I was not paying attention. She said she had to concentrate sometimes to hear if there was back ground noise.

She explained it was like going to a class and trying to learn a hard subject and only hearing part of the speakers words. She said it wears you out mentally and physically to try that hard to hear.

I had just got done the night before doing a laws and liability class that I had to mentally stay alert to be able to learn as it was so complicated and I was exhausted at the end of the day.  She said that is how every day is to the elderly.

She said if you are going to talk to the elderly you should be within 10 feet of them as after 10 feet the sound drops off.

The reason speaking slower works sometimes is that they have to work so hard to hear you that it gives them more time.

She said to always be within 10 feet and to speak a little slower and to make sure you get their attention before you speak. She said they are exhausted by the end of the day from working so hard mentally as it is a hard job to concentrate that hard all day long.

Mom is getting hearing aids now and I am so glad. Before I was glad because now she could hear us and we could converse with her. Now I am glad she is getting them where she can relax a little and not have to work so hard.

Some stuff to think about. Maybe we should all fill our ears with ear plugs and see just how hard it is for them and then maybe we would be a little bit better.  I know making my kids live the life of a person with a problem for a day sure made them understand more. I think we should all get our ear plugs and try it for a day and not take them out because something comes up that you really had to hear. Remember they don't get to take theirs out.

I will keep you informed on how this goes. She goes in again in 2 weeks to have her fittings and then she has 75 days to see if she likes them or gets a full refund so it is mistake free until they find a pair that works for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment