Monday, July 22, 2013

Chickens in your garden

I have heard so many conflicting stories about turning chickens into your garden so I made a section outside the fence and planted spinach and lettuce and oats in it for my chickens. My mom said it was a waste if time and money as they would eat the seeds. Every day they went up and scratched around and ate for a couple of hours and their little garden still thrived better then my garden.  When the plants got up big enough I thought they would not scratch them out I turned the chickens into the regular garden.


They damaged one small corn plant but scratching around it and it toppled over and I had to replant it. My mom said it is the first time she has been able to have Walla Walla sweet onions without them getting wormy. They have also kept the cabbage bugs down and I have not had to spray them.

The corn and cabbage and broccoli seem to be their favorite places. Especially the corn. They also leave fertilizer and the corn is the best part of the whole garden so far, everyone has been complementing on how much bigger it is then theirs.

I will be letting mine out into the garden again next year when it gets up  far enough that when they scratch they don't cover up the plant. That is the only problem I had when the plants were small. I think they are so worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment