Monday, June 18, 2012

McCoin Orchard, the desert oasis

This old tree is scarred and battle worn but continues it fight to live in the harsh climate of the high desert of Central Oregon among the sagebrush.

Almost all the old homesteads of Central Oregon have poplar trees to block the wind on the high desert. There was a wind blowing last night and I did not realize how much noise it makes going through the poplars, it sounded a lot like the ocean and was very relaxing sound.

I love old stumps, they are like natures sculptures and all have such different personalities.


They probably did not know how this orchard and area would last for so many years and it still produces apples. I noticed in the paper that they are taking a tour to this orchard and 3 others in Central Oregon and it costs $45.00 to go on it. Some people are going to study and tell about how this type of apple tree is so hardly that it has survived and still producing after a 100 years. I don't know if this one is that old but I know it is old. One of the other ones they are going to is Cyrus Springs Orchard which is not far from this one on the north side of Grey Butte in Jefferson County out of Madras, Oregon.

This is so relaxing, I pulled over and rolled the window down where I could hear the birds singing and the wind through the poplar trees and read my nook for awhile and I could just feel the stress and tension from fathers day and missing my dad seep out my toes.

I was so tempted to just pull my blanket out of the back and sleep here if I did not think my mom would worry about me all night. 


Walking around the orchard and thinking about the people who built this home and all the enjoyment that people for years have had from their labor.  Do you ever wonder if they know that the work and love that went into their home was going to be enjoyed by so many for so many years. A legacy left behind.



When I see a small memorial like this I always wonder what happened to the person and it is so cool that people still bring flowers for them. Did they hit this tree on their ATV or motorcycle? Did they have a heartache leaning against the tree? What a peaceful place to rest.

Right up  from the flowers is this small graveyard with a sign that says brothers forever. Is this a grave or another memorial. I wish I could be buried someplace like this when I go. It is so peaceful and beautiful and you can see the sagebrush, the poplars, the apple orchard of the land I love so much.

Headed back to civilization down the little dirt road that runs by the small creek. There are several springs along the way and in  spring this is one of my favorite drives. I have seen elk, deer, rabbits,birds of all kinds, antelope in this area.


This is one of the springs in the little canyon that runs from McChoin orchard. The springs have water year around so it is a good wildlife viewing area especially later in the year as the streams start drying up.

There is a trail from McChoin orchard that is 7 1/2 miles long that you can hike to the back side of Smith Rocks or ride your horse.  Sometime when you want a hike you should try this one and see Smith Rocks and many other cool things from a different angle then most people do.

This was a fun drive and I slept like a log when I got home so the orchard and the poplars did the trick and relaxed me on fathers day, a stressful sad day missing my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment