Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Springtime in Central Oregon

One thing you can always count on if you live in the high desert of Central Oregon is that you can't count on what the weather is going to be from one day to the next. One minute to the next. Day to night. You might have it 80 degrees and then 35 at night. The saying goes "if you don't like the weather wait around 5 minutes", "The only place you can stand in a mud puddle and get hit with a dust devil" and many more.

I woke up this morning to great big snowflakes coming down and it is April 16, 1013 at 6 am.

The flakes were big and it was sticking and then the sun came up and it quit snowing. My beautiful flowers I was so excited about now have a blanket of snow. I don't think I am going to plant in my garden today.



They are stubborn and intent to keep blooming even  if they are covered in snow.  It looked so funny to look out my window through the tomatoes that are in the window sill and see snow all over and big flakes falling from the sky...Is it now spring??

They say Thursday it won't freeze at night for a few days so I am going to plant my tomatoes and other plants in the garden where we can have a dining room table back. I can't use the pellet stove because it is covered with plants.  You can hardly see out the big windows, they are covered with plants and then this cold spell came.  Even when it isn't snowing you wait for a section of weather that is not going to freeze at night for a few days to plant where they get their roots settled and then you cover them with a blanket if a cold spell comes.  If you don't do that you can't raise a lot of stuff because the growing season would be to short.

Wish me luck that the weather forecast doesn't change and I can plant Thursday before the plants completely take over the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment