Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring fever

I get spring fever really bad every year and want to start planting things as soon as I have one warm day. In fact one of the places I worked put out a fun memo that said "We can not accept any resignation from Linda in the springtime.  I am just terrible!  I just want outside and I want to plant something.

I planted a bunch of bulbs last year and they are all coming up nice. Now I live in fear that the hard frosts will kill them. Madras is noted for getting a really warm spell and everything starts to bloom then BOOM, cold hard weather hits. Those of us who can't wait to plant things are in bad shape and have to start all over again.







I was going to buy my mom some flowers as she fell and hit her head and split it open and I wanted to cheer her up. I got to the store and it was as cheap to buy this potted hydrangea as it was cut flowers and it will last longer. In fact reading on it I should be able to plant it outside and treat it like an annual. Gets to cold in the winter for it and I am afraid maybe to hot in the summer. It has already lasted longer then cut flowers do and we love it. It adds so much cheer to our home.


I started some German Heirloom tomatoes from seed.  I was told that you don't get all of the seeds to germinate so I planted two seeds in each starter pot. Well everyone of them came up. Mom said I had to  pull one out and throw it away..NO WAY!  I just can't do that. I decided I was going to separate them anyway and plant in little pots and which ones lived I would plant in the garden. They ALL lived!  Everyone of them. Now I have 40 little tomatoes that are growing like weeds. I have given several away and this is what I still have left.


Then we went to the store and mom wanted some Oregon early girl and a patio tomato so now sitting with my African Violets is more tomatoes that are doing good but can't be put outside yet.

I planted Strawberries in two strawberry pots. I planted house plants everywhere and then we got the Sunday paper yesterday and guess what?  Yep more plants as it was a one day only sale. I now live in a green house instead of a house and I love every minute of it. They already have little strawberries on them and blooms everywhere.



Our Sunday Fred Meyer sale plants. Boy am I going to have to plant like mad in a couple of weeks and until then we have no dining room table left, wait I see one spot I can get more plants in.


It had better not get to cold as we are using our electric heat cause someone has the pellet stove buried.

The two dahlia's are beautiful. I was standing in line to pay for them and the lady ahead of me kept turning around and looking at all my plants like I had lost my mind and then she said. "that purple flower is the most beautiful thing I ever saw, do they have any left like that". I told her they had one more and she said she was going to get it as soon as they got done checking her groceries out. The blue and the purple daisy type flowers I have never heard of before but they can be planted now as they tolerate cold but they say if you let them bloom in the house and then cut them back and replant outside they will bloom again...yahoo!  

One happy lady here, I can't plant outside but inside my house is a blooming spring day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment