Wednesday, November 11, 2015

High Desert Community Theater Play "Wash your troubles away"

The little town of Culver, Oregon has a high desert community theater that puts on a play in the spring and one again in the fall. It is usually a musical comedy and they are really good. They are free to the public but you must get a ticket as it is so popular and the room only holds so many people. The accept donations but no charge to see the performance.  I attend them all and this fall it was the musical comedy "Wash your troubles away"

The actors are all from our little rural towns and are good and lots of fun, one from a bank and one of the towns mayors.

Sweet Sally that works for one of the ladies that runs a laundry in this mining town where they have several laundries.  Sally is a hard worker and really sweet.

Miss Olympia Klenz who owns the laundry where Sweet Sally works and thinks of her as her own daughter since she has none of her own.

One of the miners they call Coyote.  The guy that plays him is fantastic and so is Ms. Klenz even though this is her first time.  She accidentally irons his hand.

The villain enters the stage.

The Sheriff loves Sweet Sally

The Villain's girlfriend and fellow crook.



The Villain's mom who spoiled him rotten


The girlfriend and the mom fight over him all the time.



The orphans they use to get people to donate money to them and that they use as slaves labor.

Not going to tell any more of the story but it was a fun play and the local people did amazing in their roles.

Isn't it great to still live in a small rural town where you can go to a play of this quality and know the people who are acting in it. It is so much more fun when you know the people in the play and you get so proud of the job they do.

Of all the places I have been and lived there is nothing like Central Oregon. Once when I was in Prince George in Canada I was talking to some construction workers. I asked them since you have lived so many different places working construction where would you live if you did not have to worry about money?  One laughed and said "oh a little place in Oregon that you have probably never heard of that we built a dam there".  I told him I was from Oregon and had been about everywhere in the state so I might. He said a little town that has it all in Central Oregon named Madras.  I laughed and said...oh my that is where I grew up, my home town.  He proceeded to tell me what he liked about it, the people, the view, the climate and on and on.

That is the day I started to look at my hometown different and see it through others eyes. As I grew older and was away longer I even missed it more and appreciated things I had never appreciated before. First and foremost the people. I call it the little town with the big heart. We might not show what we are made of everyday but when something happens we come together like you would not believe it. Our little town donated so much money to a family that lost the dad and kids in a fire. This summer with the the fires we pulled together and did everything and more that was necessary to get people all over our state what was need for our fire victims and we did it immediately without having to wait for red tape. Yep we are the town with the big heart and we are community in our fun like plays, sports, rodeos, kids rodeos, marathons or anything else you like to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment