Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Central Oregon High Desert

I was working on photos this morning and so many memories started running through my head.

I had lived in Madras for as long as I can remember as I moved here not to long after I was born, I think I was two almost three.  I grew up looking at this mountain along with the others in the Cascades and I never appreciated the view. I never appreciated the sunrises or sunsets.  Being a normal human that does not know how good they have it until they lose it.

After staying in one place my whole life I was so excited about moving around. My ex worked construction on the highway system for the State of Oregon.  It did not take me long to realize what I was missing.  Then we transferred to Baker, Oregon and I could see the mountains. It was a farming, ranching town and about the same weather I was used to. I loved Baker and we were there for five years and I was content.  Then I84 in that section was done and they moved us to Ontario, Oregon. We were not happy. My brother talked my ex into moving to Coos Bay on the coast. I was excited but that did not take long to wear off.

I have always told everyone that Coos Bay was where I grew up. I got older in Madras but I did not grow up until I got to Coos Bay. After a couple of weeks I was so depressed and it continued to get worse for 5 years. I tried everything, I took up 99% of my hobbies when I lived there trying to get happy. I took up scuba diving, cake decorating, ceramics, painting and every other craft made to man. The only way I could survive was to stay busy, busy, busy doing things.  The rain made everything smell like mildew, the sand was in everything no matter how hard you tried to keep it out.  I don't want to get into all the reasons I hated Coos Bay but lets just say the only thing good about it was a few friends I met there. Mom always said if you can't say something good don't say anything at all so Shores Acres in Coos Bay is pretty.

I swore to myself if I ever got back to Central Oregon I would never leave again.  When we first came back I would set outside during a thunderstorm just to hear and see and experience it. No matter how rushed I was I never did not take the time to enjoy the sunsets we have or the sunrises. All my hobbies almost went away as my life changed to outside things.

Another photo of Mt. Jefferson taken from further away but shows the beautiful sunsets we have. This was taken right from Highway 26 that runs from Portland to Madras just before you drop down the hill into Madras. This shows what I missed all those years and speaks for itself, no words needed.

My heart and my soul ached for this sight when I was gone.  I go out and watch a sunset and my tension eases from my body, my blood pressure drops and now I understand why all the tourists would be pulled over on highway 26 taking photos. I used to say "what are they taking photos of?" Dad would say "the sunset". I said "why it is just a sunset". He said you will understand in time.


Here is one of one of our sunrises.  We live in such a beautiful country.




No comments:

Post a Comment